Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All About the Visuals

Wordle: Comic Strip Literacy

[This is the what I wrote] During student teaching I used comic strips during a grammar unit on dictation. The special education teacher I worked with came up with the idea for our "blended" class. We used two Peanuts comic strip- for the familiarity and concise dialogue. We choose strips depicting Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin (this was in the fall around Halloween) talking with Charlie Brown and Lucy. For the blended class we rewrote some of the conversation for students, as an example, and finished in class. Then students rewrote the second strip in the comic for homework.

I modified the activity for the "regular" class, I did not rewrite any of the conversation- instead we worked in partners then shared with a class. course I can't find the original comic strip, but any would work for this activity. This is one of several ways to incorporate comics into grammar lesson to motivate children through less traditional text structure (McViker, 87, 2007).





Visual literacies support all students find "meaning in imagery" and engagement in their own learning experience (Long, 499, 2008). I try to make an effort to incorporate visuals in the curriculum whenever I find the opportunity. The experience enriches all student learning, as well as moves us away from more mundane modes of teaching. Everyone wins!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Visuals are an important part of classroom instruction because they engage and often motivate students. They are also an important tool to use because they often help meet the needs of all learners. Like you said, everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete