Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Personal Expression

Last spring, for methods class with Kelly Chandler-Olcott, I was introduced to digital storytelling. I was intrigued but felt overwhelmed at the thought of making my own. But, I forged through the process. The end product made me feel proud, I couldn't wait to share my story with a larger audience. Reading for class, and reflecting on personal experience, reasserts the value of using the digital story process in the classroom. Students have an opportunity for "expressing their own voice using written and oral language" through "electronic formats and media." Beyond motivation through individual expression- leading to personal ownership- students also use "authentic real-world skills in a situated learning experience" (Figg, 2010, 41). Within the creative process students learn story sequence, manipulation of audio and visual editing programs, drafting and revising writing, organization, etc. Through this experience students' critical skills are stimulated as they learn to appreciate the process.
Initially I wanted to share my digital story about student teaching. Instead, I decided to search around and see what digital stories are available. I stumbled across this particular digital story on YouTube.

This example illustrates how music, audio narration and photographs can create a poignant and meaningful story to share. The author provides the audience access into a segment of his world as a child, then he seamlessly connects his past with his future. The smooth transition of images and melodic voice over music provide an excellent example personal expression.
Along with digital stories, developing a podcast allows students, and teachers, another outlet for personal expression. In the classroom context students can use podcasts to share their expertise on a subject with a vast audience creating a transparent learning experience (Richardson 2010). Personally I have little experience with podcasts- but I know several teachers that use them on regular basis. Typically, the teachers create podcasts to share review information with students before tests. I like the idea of allowing students to create podcasts during various units. For example while reading Of Mice and Men a group of students could podcast about migrant workers during the Great Depression. Or, students could even connect with other schools- across the country or world- to share and comment podcasts.
Since I am not familiar with many podcasts, I searched around The Education Podcast Network site. This podcast, from El Cerrito Middle School, is an excellent example of how students use podcasts to communicate with their peers. The students relay important information regarding end of the year information/activities- graduation ceremony, 8th grade dance, and due dates for returning library books. As a student I remember receiving this information on a flyer that went directly into my mom's hands. Now, students have the power to provide their classmates with information- instilling students with a sense of responsibility for both those providing the information and those receiving the information.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great example of how your experience with this 2.0 tool helped you to see all of the literacies it requires. I hope that your final project, whatever you choose to pursue, does the same for you.

    ReplyDelete