Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Twitter Revolution?

Yesterday, while at the gym, I watched news stations covering the revolution in Egypt. Several reporters, in the past few days, have debated "The Twitter Revolution."Whether you agree or disagree that social media "helps [the revolution] move"- I think its extremely interesting that this conversation is taking place on a national level as we discuss the implications and advantages in class.

Much of the readings emphasized the concept that social media sites, like Facebook and Twitter, allow students to participate in the "larger conversation" and feel "more part of the community (Richardson 87)." The advantage to this- students less apt to become involved in a classroom setting may thrive during online discussions. This also gives students a sense of ownership, especially when they participate on a site like Diigo- members can "annotate and highlight" documents themselves and others (Richardson 92).

And, while those advantages are valuable- I worry that teachers may start incorporate technology as the curriculum instead of supporting the curriculum. Especially, since teachers (myself included) are unfamiliar with various sites like Delicious, Ning, and Diigo. Teachers may look to these sites to gain student attention and enthusiasm (valid, we want our students to enthusiastically approach school). BUT, we need understand all the implications, how they best support student learning, etc, in our own classrooms. I agree with Richardson, "if we're working with kids in schools we have a responsibility to understand what Facebook is all about" (132). I think that extends to all social networking sites- we may or may not use in our classrooms.

I followed PearlTrees [watch the info video] this past week. [The site allows users to organize information on the web and connect with other users]. I actually opened my account a few weeks ago, I eagerly tinkered around with the site for one night. Once I logged out I just kept postponing logging back on. Other than Facebook- I don't follow any social network sites, so PearlTrees never reached the top of my priority list. So, this past week I logged on a few times to better acquaint myself with the site. I was pleasantly surprised that users had commented on some of the sites I pearled or added them to their own account. To start slow I read comments on other users' accounts before I eventually left of few of my own. Although communicating with a stranger intimidates me (and goes against everything my mother and grandparents ever told me) I definitely felt a sense of invigoration and importance. I can appreciate the value students feel as the gain a sense of ownership and control over their own world, interests, writing, etc through social media sites.

4 comments:

  1. Cady, Twitter was everywhere that week! I appreciate you taking the time to play around with social bookmarking/networking sites, particularly one that you weren’t as familiar with. I agree that we need to have some facility with these tools before we ask students to participate. I would, however, argue that we don’t need to be “experts” just teachers willing to learn and grow. As you worry about teachers using technology as the curriculum rather than to engage students with the curriculum, I worry about teachers not using technology at all because they don’t know how or are afraid that their students will know more. I wonder how they will best prepare students for our world that is becoming more global by the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cady, I really liked your point about teaching with technology and not just using technology for the idea of its novelty. A lot of teachers (both seasoned and new to the field) could probably use a professional development session on this topic, especially because technology moves so quickly and so many interesting web 2.0 tools are popping up as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we don't need to be experts, but at least have basic knowledge of the technology- and even just be aware of what is available. Students are great resources in the classroom. Even though, as teachers, we want to appear as experts- from my experience students are always more than eager to help and never judgmental. I think some students actually enjoy the moment to act as the expert in front of the class and teacher. It builds a stronger bond- the students realize that everyone is learning at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many different technologies out there it is really hard to be an expert on them all. Like you said above, many of these new technologies I am just learning about this semester!

    I am still not very familiar with Twitter.. but like you and Elizabeth said, it's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete